Student Visa (Subclass 500)
Beyond the beautiful beaches and landscapes, its mostly sunny weather and multicultural cities, Australia offers great advantages and opportunities to its international students, allowing them to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while studying, unlike other countries.
Processing Times: Vary (25 to 77 days, approx.)
Student visa requirements
In order to submit a valid student visa application, you need to:
- obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from an education provider, certifying you are registered as a full-time student
- provide evidence of your English language skills (IELTS 5.5, TOEFL 46, PTE 42), unless exempt
- acquire an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for your entire stay in Australia
- demonstrate enough financial resources to cover your living costs and tuition fees
- show that you are a Genuine Temporary Entrant and you intend to return to your country
If the applicant is under 18 years of age, the application must include the nomination of a guardian, as well as other welfare arrangements.
Student visa financial requirements
In addition to the cost of this visa, the Department of Home Affairs determines the exact financial funds required depending on the institution and course chosen, as well as on your individual situation.
In general terms, the student visa financial requirement is calculated considering the traveling expenses, cost of living and tuition fees the applicant will have to cover in a period of 12 months.
Applicants traveling with family members
International students in Australia can include family members and dependants in their visa application, or they can later join the student as subsequent entrants.
In either case, most of the student visa requirements met by the primary applicant also apply to their family and dependants – including the demonstration of financial funds and the cost of the visa application.
Considering the student visa processing times vary depending on the characteristics of your specific case, Borderless Migration recommends starting the process of application and preparation of documents no later than 8 weeks before the commencement of the course selected.
Contact us or visit our Sydney office, our team will guide you through the Student Visa requirements and will answer all your questions.