Carer Visa (Subclass 836 and 116)
The Carer Visa is a permanent visa, available to applicants wishing to move to Australia in order to take care of a relative who requires care due to a long-term medical condition and who demonstrates not having reasonable access to care in Australia.
The Visa application process is available to applicants overseas through the Carer Visa – Subclass 116, and to applicants already in Australia through Subclass 836.
For the purposes of this visa, a relative is a partner, child, parent, brother, sister, stepchild, step-parent, stepbrother, stepsister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.
Processing Times: Vary
Carer Visa requirements
In order to submit a valid Visa application, you must:
- be able and willing to provide substantial care
- have a sponsor (relative requiring care, their spouse or de-facto partner)
- meet the health requirement
- meet the character requirement
- sign the Australian values statement
In order to be eligible, the sponsor must:
- demonstrate they are unable to receive reasonable care in Australia, from another family member, hospital or community nursing service
- be 18 years of age or older
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
The Visa is only granted in those cases where the relative’s medical condition has been assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services as long-term or permanent, requiring assistance with daily life activities for at least 2 years.
Successful applicants to the Carer Visa are allowed to work, study and stay indefinitely in Australia, as well as to enrol in the public health care system and apply for the Australian citizenship, if eligible.
Contact us or visit our Bankstown office. Our team is ready to answer your questions and guide you through the Carer Visa application process, based on your specific circumstances.