Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional (Provisional) – 489 Visa is available to skilled workers intending to live and work in regional Australia, with the possibility of extending their stay permanently through the Skilled – Regional (Residence) – 887 Visa, if eligible.
For the purposes of this visa, most of the areas outside Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are considered regional Australia.
Skilled Regional (Provisional) – 489 Visa pathways
Invited Pathway * Closed to new applications from November 16, 2019
Extended Stay Pathway – For holders of the 475, 487, 495 or 496 visas (Extended Stay pathway)
Subsequent Entry Pathway – For eligible family members of 475, 487, 489, 495 or 496 visa holders
Skilled Regional (Provisional) – 489 Visa requirements
In order to submit a valid 489 Visa application, you must:
- meet the English language requirement
- be under 50 years of age
- have an adequate health insurance
Additional to the above, applicants to the 489 Visa – Invited Pathway must:
- be under 45 years of age
- have a suitable skills assessment
- be sponsored or nominated by a state or territory government agency
- be invited to apply
- score at least 65 visa points
Due to the multiple conditions of the 489 Visa, Borderless Migration recommends discussing your specific circumstances with our specialised migration consultants in Sydney, who will answer all your questions and will guide you through the 489 Visa checklist and visa points calculator.
Contact us or visit our office in Sydney, NSW.
* From November 16, 2019 the Invited Pathway – 489 Visa was closed to new applications due to the introduction of the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491). Please contact our migration consultants in our Bankstown office for more information and Australian visa options.